Monday 20 March 2017

Reflections wk 1

Reflection 1.1

Having worked with Information Communication and Technology (ICT) in my working life and again during my university studies I thought I was quite competent.  However looking at the skills of the students, I'm not so sure. I have also completed some computer courses but technology is one of those subjects that I learn more by making my own mistakes. I would relate this to developing an understanding of ICT and how I can use it in different applications, to broaden my knowledge base.



Installing new applications on the mobile and computer can be a convenience. Installing applications like Spotify which I could use in class to discuss different genres of music. Not that I am teaching music, but it is another way to gain an insight into your students. Further installing apps like Chill, which is the local coffee shop here in Ayr. I can order and pick up, with no need to wait. The area of selecting and utilising various ICTs to discover concepts seems well covered.

Zoom is another form of using technology synchronously to join meetings and collaborate with other students to share the tutorials. This can also be used asynchronously if I don’t get a chance to attend the meeting.


I have worked with students who have learning difficulties, so I have utilised some digital resources that are used to support these learners.

Having always been an ethical person I have carried this over to using ICT. In a work situation I had a website setup, I found the perfect photo for the front page. Consequently I contacted the person who owned this beautiful photo and for a small fee they were happy for me to use it.


During my university studies having to find and select suitable information using the library resources was initially quite daunting. I now have a better knowledge of locating and analysing relevant information. In saying that after listening to the library lady speak at our  residency I'm not as competent as I thought.


Even though I enjoy working with and using ICT I have a healthy respect for it and how I can use it. It can also be very frustrating, when everything does not go according to plan. Based on the necessary skills that I will need as far as ICT capabilities I have a good level of understanding and would be a level 5. Reading the various levels regarding what students are capable of I would suspect they will be able to and will teach me considerably more.



Reflection 1.2

Since starting this course I have been learning about the use of ICT in the classroom. Initially I had not considered it was so important. But now seeing the way that students interact with technology and the way it gives them the ability to work at their own speed and move ahead at their own pace is remarkable. Children seem so at ease with technology, they are not scared of the concept. It gives them a certain freedom, to investigate another world.


I have always believed that you can have too much time, using technology. However in the classroom the use of technology can help the students so much more than can be taught in the class. So I am questioning my beliefs about how technology enhances classroom learning.


I am committed to teaching and learning, but I don’t believe I will have all the power. Noting the ICT capabilities that students have and are acquiring, I understand that I will also be in a learning situation.


Just like the students I worry about identity formation and where I will fit in. I would like to have mutual respect between myself and students so I best get tech savvy, because I read in one of the articles that students respect teacher who are technologically competent. I hope that the students willingly accept that even though I may not have control, they will assist me to understand how and where their learning is coming from.


I believe it will be a blow to my self-confidence as the teacher for students to be questioning my beliefs and abilities. No one has all the answers and I will have to accept that it will be a two way situation. Really I suppose like anything we do, it depends on how the situation is handled.


As mentioned I have some understanding of ICT in the classrooms. Having worked with children in disabilities where the interactive whiteboard was used in the classroom. I also worked with students with learning difficulties who used adaptive technology relevant to their disability.


Reflection 1.3
Reflection

I feel the challenges would be the same in most classrooms, actually gaining the attention of the student. Once you have a captivated audience you need to involve them in the class. A new concept (based on my schooling) in the readings is not only allowing students to be responsible for their own learning but also their outcomes.

Learning how to cater to each student who each has their own unique make-up will be challenging. When a student comes to school having already had a bad day, trying to involve them in the classroom will be difficult. Trying to involve the student in something that is of interest to them or coming about problems from the student perspective, may help.
We need to understand the adolescent brain and how it best learns, so that we can teach on their terms. We need to educate children and give them strategies to be able to transition from different situations.
When children, starting school today retire how can anyone know what that future will look like? The challenge is to put the student in the best possible position for future learning and their future.

Combine traditional learning with current learning. The benefits of traditional learning include structure and organisation which may help to keep the classroom productive.
The school that I went to is so different from school today whereby students are encouraged to develop their creativity, so it keeps growing as students develop. Encourage students to be able to think for themselves, give them the answer and have them work out the problem.

Break the classrooms into small groups and encourage all students to have discussions and throw around ideas. Make sure the lesson has relevance to everyday life/something that they are interested in. Within this group students will have input, ideas will be formed and students will learn from other students and may even start to question own opinions. By having students engage with each other they not only have academic, collaborative, and social interaction, but it also gives them a sense of empowerment. By breaking the class into small groups, helps students have their say without that feeling of intimidation that they may feel in the larger class. Have students bring their ideas/creativity to the subject. After the group discussions ask for student feedback.
By engaging with your students you are also gaining a small insight into their lives.

Reflection 2.2


This is just what I have been doing since I started GDLT, explicit learning, “I do”, “You do”, “We do”. Having a look at other students’ blogs and reflections gave me the inspiration that I needed. Looking at the other students’ great blogs certainly gives me an appreciation of how digital pedagogy can be used. In my case explicit instruction has been in the form of joining the online meetings and listening to the tutor speak. However I find it difficult to communicate in that sort of environment.

Lower order thinking provides the basics for higher order thinking. Like anything in life if you don’t understand the basics it is difficult to understand the subject. Brooker (2010) categorises higher order thinking into 3 areas, transfer, critical thinking and problem solving.

Transfer is where the students learn the facts and are able to recall that information and transfer it effectively to real-life situations. Critical thinking is where students are given a prescribed task and asked to find relevant information to develop achievable outcomes. They need to question, investigate, determine the validity of the sources and identify whether the information is relevant to the task. The teachers’ job is to guide the students reiterating facts and giving them suggestions of how to go about the task. Simple things like simplifying the language and what are you actually being asked to do, so check for key words. Problem solving is being able to evaluate all that information to make sound choices.

 Blooms Taxonomy and SAMR and what they mean to me. Both frameworks promote higher order thinking. Blooms Taxonomy provides a framework for teachers whereby it promotes higher order thinking using cognitive skills. SAMR promotes higher order thinking, using technology for learning. It is the transformative potential of ICT and the use of it in the classrooms that underpins SAMR.

Higher order thinking using cognitive skills
http://www.usingmindmaps.com/images/blooms_taxonomy-490.gif

Taxonomy


Category

activity

examples

knowledge

Teacher delivers a lesson and gives out information

We have been studying banks and interest rates in class.

Give students guidelines to the task :

Decide which bank either ANZ, Westpac etc.

Choose an account that offers the best interest rate

comprehension

Take the information and make sense of it

What needs to be done and where do I start?

Decide which bank

Choose  a bank

Choose the account that offers the best interest rate

application

Use the data out in the real world

Go into bank and talk to staff and tell them what you are doing. Have them go through the different options. Make a choice dependant on the set criteria.

analysis

Apply the data such as interest rates, interest free days

Take all the information & brochures home & go through each one and what is being offered

Synthesis

Summarise all the information

Make a list of what each account offers

evaluation

Evaluate the best deal

Differentiate and explain why






















Higher order thinking using SAMR






Category

activity

examples

Substitution

Teacher delivers a lesson and gives out information

After studying about banks and interest rates in class, we decided to do a project.

The guidelines to the task :

Based on the information discussed in class, choose a bank (ANZ, Westpac etc) Choose the account that offers the best interest rate

Augmentation

Efficiency

functional improvement

Where do I start?

What needs to be done?

§  Look at bank websites

§  Look at all the different accounts that are offered

§  Look at the interest rates

modification

Technology substitute

Just for fun look what overseas banks offer their clients

Collate the data

§  Make a detailed spreadsheet of what each bank offers

redefinition

Apply the criteria

Evaluate data

Collaborate with friends

§  From the list choose a bank

Choose account

Differentiate and explain why

§  Maybe open the bank account and start saving






 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Authentic Learning

Reading through Steve's Revington's authentic learning, once again opens the door to thinking about pedagogy and how it can best be ...